On October 12, 1954, in Northport, Alabama, Bro. Lindsey Shelton opened the doors of what was then St. John Church of God. Sis. Susie Craig was named Pastor. During her leadership the first Deacons were appointed: Bro. John Owens, Bro. Sonders, Bro. Jones, and Bro. David Shelton.
Meanwhile, the church name changed from St. John to Hightown Church of God in recognition of the community in which the church was located. In 1957, Bro. Lewis Thomas became the church’s 2nd Pastor. He led the congregation until shortly before his death in 1996. Marvin D. Cherry became the third Pastor in the church’s history on 3rd Sunday in May of 1997.
In November of 1999, Hightown COG opened the doors to its brand new five hundred seat sanctuary, fellowship hall, and offices and church facility on church site. Since then the membership has grown to almost 700 members.
In October of 2006, the church dedicated and opens the doors to its 22,000 square foot Family Life Center. This facility houses Hightown Academy – a pre-school for children ages 6 weeks through age five, a gymnasium, walking track, cardiovascular center, Sunday School classrooms, recreation rooms, meeting rooms, a computer lab and much more. This facility will be used to provide additional space for the ministries at Hightown but more importantly will serve as a resource network for the entire community.
Plans will soon be under for a three thousand-seat sanctuary and facility that will enable us to carry our Kingdom mandate from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To God Be the GLORY!